Tuesday 25 September 2012

Summerhill Force (Gibson's Cave) in Flood

After the torrential rain of the last twenty four hours my initial plan was to head up to High Force Waterfall. On the way I noticed that the Tees was certainly very high, but it did not look to be higher than the 28th June 2012 flood level. Instead I headed to Bowlees and had a walk up to Summerhill Force (also known as Gibson's Cave). The dripping foliage and dark, dank and misty conditions gave the place a jungle atmosphere.

05D-6148 Summerhill Force (Gibson's Cave) in Flood Conditions Caused by Heavy Rain on the 24th and 25th September 2012 Bowlees Upper Teesdale County Durham
Summerhill Force. Gibson's Cave is behind the waterfall


Spray form the falls was a major problem and I had a frustrating time trying to capture a few long exposures without the lens getting covered. It was a case of fire the shutter, clean the lens, fire the shutter and clean the lens. Time after time I did this until I eventually managed to capture a handful of images where the spray did not ruin the shot.


05D-6175 Summerhill Force (Gibson's Cave) in Flood Conditions Caused by Heavy Rain on the 24th and 25th September 2012 Bowlees Upper Teesdale County Durham



Compare this to the one below in normal conditions.


04D-1051 Summerhill Force and Gibsons Cave Bowlees Teesdale County Durham UK.
Summerhill Force and Bowlees Beck in normal conditions. Copyright David Forster

Text/Images Copyright David Forster

6 comments:

  1. Great photos again. What a remarkable contrast! It's definitely worth seeking out waterfalls when the rains come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Mark, it is always worth heading out to get a few waterfall images. Even small streams and falls are tranformed when the conditions are right. It also provides that extra bit of motivation to get out when its wet.
      Cheers
      David

      Delete
  2. Those photographs are seriously good, David. I thought you might have been out snapping waterfalls last week. It crossed my mind to have a drive up Teesdale myself to take a look at High Force, but with the local beck lapping round my front step (it's called Waterfall Beck, would you believe) the back garden under 4in of water and my allotment like a paddy field, I thought I'd better stay indoors and guard the homestead. I've not been up to Summerhill Force, so I might take a walk up there sometime.
    Cheers, Alen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey sounds like your home has had a lucky escape. I waited until the worst of the rain was over but even so the roads up the dale were still flooded in places. The Tees was not quite as high as the June floods though, which was a surprise. If you are planning on going up there it should be really good when the trees turn in the middle of October.
      Cheers
      David

      Delete
  3. gibsons cave waterfall is a good little outing in winter, as climb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. It has been in condition several times in the last few years and I did see a pic somewhere of someone climbing it. Not sure if this winter will bring a few ascents though, its done nothing but rain. Hope the weather in Wales is improving for you, looks like you have had it pretty rough of late.

      Delete